The Perfect Southern Chow-Chow
Never miss a recipe Sign up today to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
We will never sell or distribute your email to anyone else.
You Will Need
Canning Jar Lifter
1 Butter knife OR Air Bubble Remover
8 cups diced green tomatoes
1 Large Green Bell Pepper Diced
4-6 medium sweet onions, sliced
1/2 cup Pickling salt
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 TBS Picking spice
Set of 2
Whether you call it Chow Chow, Chow-Chow, or ChowChow, this dish is made in so many different varieties.
This is my southern green vegetable chow chow recipe, Have you ever had beans and cornbread with a tomato chow chow? This southern-style chow chow makes your heart just go back to your childhood, where you had big Sunday dinners and chow chow was always served with beans and cornbread. Follow our complete, step-by-step, for making this old Southern favorite. Chow Chow relish is a great topping for hot dogs, burgers, turkey sandwiches, all kinds of great things. We’ll show you how to make the relish, then water bath can it to preserve it.
Around my “neck of the woods,” Chow Chow is one of those end of the season recipes that utilizes things that are quickly fading from the backyard garden.
It’s a way to use those tomatoes that are still on the vine, but never turn ripe before the first frost gets them. That's when I make this incredible chow chow green relish.
1. In a large bowl, sprinkle the salt over the tomatoes and onions; cover and let this sit overnight in the refrigerator.
2. In the morning, rinse the tomatoes and onions to remove the salt. Strain and rinse well.
4. Place all ingredients into a large pot on the stovetop. granulated sugar, white vinegar, and turmeric.
5.Add the 2 TBS Pickling Spice to your Tea Ball,
6. Bring to a boil, reduce to an active simmer and then let this simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Stir frequently to prevent any sticking.
7. When finished, place into hot sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Make sure to wipe rims with paper towel and vinegar.
8. Process in your water bather for 10 minutes.
9. Remove the relish to a rack to cool completely.
10. Listen for that ping! to make sure all jars have sealed..
Keywords- Chow Chow, Caning, tomatoes, chow chow recipe, cornbread, beans, cornbread and beans, what can you make with cornbread and beans. how to can, how to can chow chow, water bath recipes, water bathing recipes, canning recipes, favorite canning recipes, onions, green tomato relish, green tomatoes, old fashion chow chow, southern chow chow, green vegetable chow chow,